In this article, we will explain the process of making a shopping app similar to Wish, while avoiding market pitfalls that turn bright start-up ideas into grim failures.
Let’s dive right into the subject.
Is There a Market for New Shopping Apps?
Based on the conducted research, the lion’s share of apps belongs to the domains of gaming, social media, business, and education. For example, the shopping app share on Apple Store makes only 2.18% according to Statista.
However, this situation may change drastically.
In 2019, the Amazon online shopping app was installed on more than 1 million devices, while the Wish app followed with 625K in the US alone. The demand for these apps grows dramatically during the holiday period, not just in the US, but in the UK, France, and Germany (Forbes).
One thing is clear: Shopping apps like Wish are in demand and growing.
We at MLSDev have vast experience in building shopping and eCommerce applications from scratch. Please take a look at our ongoing projects of success with thousands of users across 150+ U.S. cities.
The goPuff app, which is shown above, is a shopping and on-demand delivery service that supplies its clients with office, party, and household essentials, snacks, drinks, frozen food, groceries, electronics, etc.
The Best Mobile Shopping Apps of 2019
The Wish app is one of the most interesting to look into when you think about making a sales app. The app is simple, yet functional.
To make this task easier, here is a list of the top 10 shopping apps, including Wish, for comparison:
Without a doubt, the Amazon shopping app is far superior with its 350 million products available via an app.
Technically, it features high-end perks like integration with Alexa and AR view, as well as cross-platform optimization. Building an app like Amazon would cost a fortune since the calculations start at $240K and go up.
Pro Tip: Make sure you hire a reliable tech vendor — then your app will have more chances to skyrocket in terms of income.
Functionality & Tech Approaches in Shopping App Creation
Remember, not all apps similar to Wish implemented advanced functionality from the very beginning. Many started with simple features first.
Shopping App Like Wish: Core Functionality
Here is a list of simple features you can start your project with:
- Search & Catalog
- Push notifications
- Ratings & Reviews
- Checkout Process
- Payment Gateway
- Customer Support
Advanced Features of Shopping Apps
Also, it is worth thinking about some advanced functionality that may drive customer flow in the future, namely:
- Shipping System
- AR & VR Shopping Option
- Location Tracking [Search for the Nearest Store]
- Personal Assistant
Step by Step Process to Create an App
The following 9-steps should help you through the process. It is vital to pay precise attention to each of these steps, namely:
1. Conduct market research & identify the problem
2. Set your strategy, business goals, & expectations
3. Find a proper software development vendor
4. Define your shopping app functionality
5. Create a professional UX/UI design
6. Test, deploy, & launch the application for shopping
7. Roll out marketing campaigns to promote your online shop
To increase your chances, you may need to:
- apply the app store optimization (ASO) practices
- work on communication and distribution channels (e.g. marketing via social media, press releases, participation in events, etc.)
- create a landing page
- market your app idea to early adopters via specialized sites like PreApps
8. Collect & analyze feedback from app users
9. Ongoing shopping app support & new functionality
Shopping Ap: Required Timeline & Budget
The cost of a shopping app can vary from $5,000 to $150,000+ depending on the tech stack, development approach (custom, cross-platform, with the help of ready-made software, etc), and many other factors.
Here is a table that presents the costs of custom shopping app development.
At MLSDev, we break custom product development into two major phases, which include the following activities and services:
- Business analysis
- UX/UI design
- Software architecture planning
- Project management
- Team review
- Early planning (1–2 week period, 1st development sprint)
- Quality assurance and testing
- Project management
- Team review
Note: The most influential factors that determine the final cost to build an app are the following:
- Vendor type and location
- Complexity and number of app features
- Back-end infrastructure and connected APIs
- Complexity of UX/UI design
- Inclusion of additional branded visual elements
- Development approach (native, mobile web, hybrid, etc.)
- Number of platforms to be developed (iOS, Android, Web, etc.)
Another factor in shopping app cost that is also worth your attention is the software development approach and vendor you choose. Will it be a freelance developer or as a dedicated team?
To conclude: There is a fundamental truth behind the choice of the tech approach: with the proper choice of vendor, and clear-set communication and collaboration, you may expect a successful project outcome.
Note: This is a summary of a guide.
Check out more details and recommendations to build an eCommerce website inside the complete article on the MLSDev blog.