Do you want to make a fitness app that will win over the multi-billion dollar market?
But how to develop a fitness app that will stand out on the market among 250,000 similar solutions?
The article will help you understand what types of fitness apps exist, what features you should consider adding and know the answer to the most important question — how much does it cost to build a fitness app?
Fitness App: Market Overview
If you are thinking about whether or not starting with a fitness app development, think no more.
- In 2018, the global wellness industry market accounted for $4.2 trillion with $595 billion in spending for fitness and mind-body products (Global Wellness Institute Survey, 2018)
- Health and fitness apps were in 8th place among the most popular apps in the Apple App Store with 3.01% of the market share (Statista Survey, 2018)
- In Google Play, health and fitness apps were in 11th place with 2.94% of the market share (Statista Survey, 2018)
- The global fitness app market size is anticipated to reach over $14.7 billion by 2026 (Polaris Market Research, 2018)
- Health and fitness app statistics show that users are loyal to their favorite apps. Almost 96% use only one fitness app. Over 75% of active users open their apps at least two times a week. As well, 25% of the most engaged users open health or fitness apps more than 10 times a week (Flurry Analytics Survey, 2017).
Still not sure whether building a fitness app is worth your time and budget?
Read on to learn how to develop a fitness app and win a lucrative place in the market.
The Most Popular Types of Fitness Apps
Health and fitness app developers should consider the following fitness app ideas:
1.Workout or exercise apps
Usually, the workout app category includes a few sub-categories:
- Exercise apps
- On-demand personal trainer apps
- Yoga and gym fitness apps
- Apps to plan workout
Apps like these are innumerable, and the most popular of them provide a unique user experience. Some of the distinct workout apps are Freeletics, Nike Training Club, Fitmo.
2. Activity tracking apps
This category includes a number of sub-categories:
- Running trackers
- Cycling apps
- Activity trackers
These running fitness apps rely on GPS to track covered distance, speed, and elevation. They are often compatible with wearables, such as fitness trackers and smartwatches. Some of the useful apps in this category are Starva, Runkeeper, Runtastic, and Nike+ Running.
3. Nutrition apps
Examples of nutrition apps are numerous, including popular names like MyFitnessPal and Lose It!
All these types of apps can be created for a startup, a fitness studio, personal trainer, sports company, or any other organization.
Fitness App Functionality
Core Features of Fitness Apps
1.User account & login
Wearable devices collect and store a lot of useful information you can use in your application:
- Number of steps and covered distance
- Heart rate
- Calories burnt
- Type of exercises
- Duration and intensity of physical exercises
3. Activity tracking
4. Goal setting
6. Calorie counting
7. Notifications & reminders
9. Educational content
Additional Features of a Fitness App
The following functionality will provide your application with an extra competitive edge.
- Social media features
- Virtual reality
How Much Does a Fitness App Cost?
App development cost is a deciding factor to consider before you start with the fitness app development.
How expensive a fitness app can be? The cost will highly depend on the final set of features.
At MLSDev, the application development process is divided into the Discovery and Development stages.
The Discovery stage includes the following services:
- Business analysis
- UX/UI design
- Software architecture planning
- Project management
- Team review
During the Development stage, we provide such services as:
- Quality assurance and testing
- Project management
- Team review
When you develop a fitness app, the average cost of the first version of your product may be approximately as follows:
As well, the final cost directly depends on the level of the development company you hire. If you think about how to launch a fitness app of good quality, pay attention to the expertise, experiences, and approaches of your potential vendors.
It is Time to Start Your Fitness App
The fitness application market is a fruitful area, especially if you have a great and unique idea.
After you come up with a fitness app idea, you have two options — either plan and make a fitness app yourself if you can or hire an app development company that will do everything for you.